I started preschool at home with my two year old last week. Apples were sort of the foundation of “Unit A” and so homemade applesauce was a given. If you’ve never made applesauce, you have really been missing out!
I peeled, cored and sliced the apples and set it all up so that my daughter could put all the ingredients in the crock pot and stir it up.
Then I let her push the buttons on the crock pot (because pushing buttons is the best thing ever). After about 6 hours on low, I used an immersion blender to blend it up and the kids gobbled it up while it was still warm!
- 8-10 apples of different varieties
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 slice of lemon peel
- Peel, core, and slice apples.
- Add all ingredients to crock pot, stir.
- Cook on low heat until soft- about 6 hours.
- Remove cinnamon sticks and lemon peel.
- For chunky applesauce: stir with wooden spoon to break apart slightly.
- For smooth applesauce: transfer to blender or use an immersion blender.